“Motumaoho School is a quality-learning environment where our learners are nurtured to reach their individual potential”.

In This Week’s Newsletter

• Introducing Courtney Smith
  • Learning
  • Bike Day
  • Sunsmart
  • Water Bottles
  • COVID-19
  • Mask Wearing
  • Communication
  • Contact Details

Dates to Remember

• Thursday 17th February – BOT Meeting
  • Tuesday 1st March – Cricket Skills Sessions
  • Thursday 17th March – BOT Meeting
  • Thursday 14th April – Teacher Only Day (TBC)
  • Thursday 14th April – Last Day of Term 1
  • Monday 2nd May – First Day of Term 2

Principal’s Message

Happy Waitangi Day everyone!

I do hope we all had a great day, whether a BBQ or a day at home with our families.

It is so good to see all of the children, settled and getting into established learning routines. It is wonderful to see the children displaying our Motumaoho School Values. 

Introducing Courtney Smith (Piwakawaka Teacher)

My name is Courtney Smith. I was born and bred in Thames, with my Mum, Dad and older brother. I completed all my schooling in Thames, before moving to Tauranga to complete my Bachelors of Sport and Recreation, with my main focus being on children’s fundamental sport skills. It was not long after graduation that we moved to Morrinsville to be closer to family and back to a quieter lifestyle. This is when I made the next step to study my Post Graduate Diploma in Teaching, and I have never looked back! Since then I have kept up with my sport and recreation love but teaching has always been my passion. While working in a variety of schools and kindergartens in the greater region, I am thoroughly enjoying being welcomed into Motumaoho School. 

I have always been interested in teaching and working with children. I love seeing children grow, learn and develop, while being a very small step in helping them achieve. I am passionate about doing my best for the children so they can look forward to further learning, while enjoying themselves and learning lifelong skills.

Learning

Your child’s learning needs are individual and as such, will be their focus during small group lessons taken with their teacher. Other whole-class learning experiences you can expect your child to participate in are outlined below. For more information, please contact your child’s teacher.

Inquiry:

This year we are building on our Enviro School knowledge. Our first inquiry is called “Me and my Environment”. We will define what the word environment means, looking at our school, community, etc. Reading, writing and maths will be integrated into the inquiry wherever possible. 

Reading

Daily reading programme with readers coming home from our ‘Home Reader’ boxes. 

Writing

Writing to recount and to explain. 

Oral language: 

A focus on speaking and presenting e.g. sharing of own experiences.

Te reo Māori

Greetings, farewells, and acknowledge people and respond to greetings and acknowledgements.

Numeracy

Statistics and probability; Number & Algebra.

Health and Physical education

Swimming, cricket and general fitness, self regulation, social skills and conflict resolution.

The Arts: 

Visual Art – sketching techniques and the use of different media e.g. pastel.

Home Learning:

Home learning will start from Week 3. Please ensure your child has a book bag at school everyday. We will be sending home readers for you to share with your child. These books can be read to/with your child. Some books might be too easy or a little difficult. Encouragement is the key. Let your child attempt unknown words by saying the letters within the words, looking at the pictures for support or thinking about what will make sense. Create a relaxed space to enjoy reading  with your child. Other home learning activities may include word work and maths activities.

Reminders

Bike Day – Fridays

Fridays will be ‘bike day’ where we will be able to use our BMX track after our wonderful parents have been working on getting this tidied up for use this term. Children can bring their own bikes and helmets to school on Fridays. Covered footwear will also be a requirement.

Sunsmart

Ensure your child/children put sunscreen on prior to coming to school.

• Teachers have a supply of sunscreen. However, keep educating your child/children around “how to be sunsmart”.
  • School hats have been distributed and are already being used by our students. 

Water bottles

Students will be encouraged to drink water regularly as a result of wearing masks, the heat, etc. Students won’t have access to water fountains. Teachers will be able to make water available if necessary but your support in supplying this for your child is appreciated.

COVID19

Thank you for following the rules (scanning in, mask wearing and social distancing). We are working hard to keep everyone healthy and safe. A reminder to keep your children home when they are unwell and to notify the school as soon a possible.  

Mask wearing

Staff and children in Years 4-13 must wear a face mask when inside at school under the Red Traffic Light system.

Public health advice is that an appropriate mask will fit snugly and seal well around facial contours. This can include single-use, disposable masks (medical masks) and reusable fabric masks with three layers.

Communication

Newsletters will typically be sent home every two weeks, with the next newsletter being on Wednesday 22 February. The newsletter is just one form of communication, however we also have a Motumaoho Facebook page, the Skool Loop app (free download for your phone), and email communication from teachers. Teachers are the first point of contact for any questions, and Angela Wainwright is only a phone call away, or you can contact me at principal@motumaoho.school.nz

Contact Details

Please ensure the office has your up to date contact details. 

Have a great week everyone.

Ngā mihi nui | Kindest Regards

Tina Baptist

Principal